close
close

The Lake County man receives 30 years for repeated sex abuse – Duluth News Tribune

The Lake County man receives 30 years for repeated sex abuse – Duluth News Tribune

Duluth – Five years ago, Michael Brian Bailey avoided the time of prison as part of a reluctant plea agreement in which he admitted that he sexually abused a young child for many years.

On Friday, however, the man in Lake County could not escape the entire weight of the law, because he was convicted for the same offenses against a second girl.

Bailey, who reconstituted his previous admission and was challenging before a recent verdict, was sentenced by Judge Eric Hylden to an orientation of 30 years in prison.

“I am crazy about the amount of victims he had since adolescence,” said the victims’ mother, “and that it took a long time to see them through his facade.”

Michael Brian Bailey.jpg

Michael Brian Bailey

Bailey, 45 years old in the Brimson area, was

Described by prosecutors as a “serial sexual offender”,

with a number of charges that first appeared around 2019.

In one case who was accused at that time, a victim told the authorities that she was assaulted on a “weekly base” of about eight years, starting at about 5 years old.

He reached a plea agreement with the prosecutor’s office in St.

The new case also involved a “model of ongoing sexual aggression” between April 2015 and April 2019, while the victim was under the age of 10 – a conduct that took place before being accused in the first case.

The victim revealed abuse at that time, but only when he provided additional details in June 2023, the case was accused.

Bailey took the witness’s position in his own defense at the trial last month, denying not only the accusations involving the second victim, but told the jurors that he lied when he confessed the abuse of the first victim.

Jurors, however,, however,

found it guilty of four additional charges of criminal sexual conduct of grade I.

The defendant claimed that the authorities “did not have a case” in the first criminal prosecution, that the victims conspired to get “their stories to fit” and that “the jury was blind to these facts.”

“I know it was my decision to have a jury process,” Bailey said on Friday, “but I don’t think I had a fair one.”

The victims’ mother told the court that they worked together – not to invent accusations, but to “remove and support each other through unthinkable.”

She said Bailey believes men to be superior to women, but he was finally “eliminated on his throne” by the brave survivors and two “female lawyers”-assistant Angela Wilson and Jacqueline county.

Meanwhile, Defense Lawyer, Chris Stocke, argued for a trial sentence, noting that the crimes precedes his previous conviction and that he has successfully completed the treatment of sex criminals and spent five years under Community supervision.

Stocke said that a year at the Northern Regional Corrections Center -East would be sufficient, along with an additional month every year as “constant reminder” of his actions.

However, they received the term of 30 years, telling the court that Bailey “does not seem to understand the impact he had.”

“For once in this man’s life, things should not be everything about him,” said the prosecutor.

Also, Hylden was disturbed by Bailey’s “continuous denial” and lack of remorse.

“You received a fair trial,” said the judge. “The jury took its duty seriously. They believed (the victim). They didn’t believe you, because you told them you lied under the oath before. It is as clear as they can if they can trust you.”

Bailey must meet at least 20 years from time before being eligible for supervised release and will be subject to a conditional release and registration of predatory criminals.

A third child previously received a protection order against Bailey, after a court found credible abuse charges.

His legal problems are far from end. Still faces process

Another first degree case involving a woman

Who told the authorities that he “forced it to have sex with him without her consent” on “many occasions” while they were in a relationship between 2019 and 2021.

The prosecutors also filed a new charges of criminal offense as a result of its recharges and faces a violation of the probation in the previous case.

Hylden has scheduled a hearing for next week to address those troubled issues.

Tom Olsen covers the crime and courts and the 8th district of the Congress for Duluth News Tribune in 2013. He is a graduate of the University of Minnesota Duluth and a resident throughout his life. Readers can contact Olsen at 218-723-5333 or [email protected].