close
close

Pirate attack: minority blame NDC for weak maritime security

Pirate attack: minority blame NDC for weak maritime security

Rev. We’re Fordjour

The minority in the Parliament has blamed the Government of the National Democrat Congress (NDC) that it has weakened the country’s maritime security, following a recent pirate attack on a fishing ship registered in Ghana, Mengxin 1.

During a press conference, yesterday, the classification member of the Defense and Interior Committee, Rev. We are Fordjour, he revealed that seven armed pirates climbed the ship on March 27, took members of the hostage crew and kidnapped three Chinese nostrils.

Since then, Marina Ghana has launched an investigation into the attack.

Flanked by the Member of Parliament (MP) Kofi Amankwa Manu, former deputy prime minister of defense, Fordjour Revere criticized the NDC administration for stopping the acquisition of offshore patrol vessels (OPV) in 2024, claiming that this decision left the territorial waters of Ghana exposed to criminal activities.

“The pirates are aware of the lack of Navy Opv in Ghana and we exploit our weaknesses. The government must act quickly to protect our maritime borders before losing several lives and economic assets,” said Mr. Manu.

Ghana becoming a drug trafficking hub?

Beyond maritime security, the minority has raised concerns about an increasing wave of drug trafficking and money laundering.

They quoted suspicious activities that involve two aircraft that landed at Kotoka International Airport in March in Gran Canaria – Spain – a well -known location for drug trafficking.

According to the minority, the N823 air flight, an alleged medical exhaust plane, arrived in Ghana on March 20 and remained five days without transporting any patients.

The minority said that information reports suggest that the aircraft has been used to smuggle cocaine and large amounts of US dollars.

Similarly, Antonov AN-12B from Cavok Air remained in Ghana for 13 days before leaving on March 25-the same day as the air flight, the minority came.

“These incidents raise serious concerns about how Ghana’s airspace is monitored in this government. Why were these flights work without adequate control?” Rev. Fordjour asked.

Gold and cash raid: Where is the responsibility?

The minority also indicated a previous major security operation on February 9, 2025, in Sapeiman, GA South Municipality, where national security intercepted by twelve 20 -meter containers filled with gold bars and billions of Ghana and US dollars.

Despite the high profile attack, the Government has not yet revealed the value of the confiscated assets or the status of investigations.

“The legitimate question I ask Ghana is: the government, through national security, intends to deviate the twelve gold and cash containers, just to return to deceive the public in the end?” Rev. asked. Fordjour.

He asked the Minister of the Interior, who also supervises national security, to provide full transparency in this regard.

Call for urgent action

The minority Caucus warned that the reputation of Ghana as one of the safest countries in Africa is now in danger in the NDC administration due to the increase of piracy, drug trafficking and money laundering.

“It is imperative that, under the leadership of President John Dramanani Mahama, Ghana does not degenerate into a refuge for pirates, drug dealers and money launders,” said Rev. Fordjour.

The minority was committed to responding to the Government and making efforts for immediate actions to protect the nation’s security.

By Ernest Kofi, the Parliament Parliament