close
close

11 detained in Turkey over calls for a shopping boy who supports the closed mayor of Istanbul

11 detained in Turkey over calls for a shopping boy who supports the closed mayor of Istanbul

Istanbul -The Turkish Police held 11 people on Thursday to support a day’s day Boicot for shopping the previous day as part of the protests against President’s main prison Recep Tayyip Erdogan Rivalreported the state media.

The chief prosecutor of Istanbul has issued arrest warrants for 16 suspects in an investigation into “hatred and discrimination” and “inciting greeting and hostility” among the public, said the Anadolu News Agency.

In the detainees, the actor CEM Yigit Uzumoglu was included, who played Sultan Mehmed the conqueror in the Dacian Netflix Rise of Empires: Ottoman, the Union of the Actors said.

The suspects were detained on social posts who asked people not to spend money on Wednesday and for businesses to close their doors in solidarity.

Large-scale anti-government protests started last month after the Istanbul’s opposition mayor Ekrem Imamoglu Regarding the accusations of corruption that critics say are politically motivated. The government insists that the judicial system is independent and lacking in political interference.

Prosecutors in Istanbul Tuesday has launched a criminal investigation In the previous calls of the boycott by the Imamoglu party that concerns companies, he claims to support the government. In particular the opposition identified the media companies that have not been broadcast Images of protests in which hundreds of thousands of people flooded the streets to request the release of Imamoglu and to cease the democratic return.

While in prison, Imamoglu was confirmed as a candidate for the Presidency of the Republican People’s Party. The following elections are currently scheduled for 2028, but it is likely to take place earlier.

According to Anka Independent News Agency, about 2,000 people have been detained since Imamoglu was arrested on March 19, with 316 closed pendants. Most of the present charges regarding the participation in protests.

Lawyers for incarcerated protesters on Wednesday said many have suffered mistreatment. The government did not respond to the accusations, but on Thursday, the police issued a statement that denied the statements that women were sexually assaulted as “vague slander”.

Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material cannot be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.