close
close

The Turkish student detained by ICE moved to Vermont in front of the judge’s order, says the government

The Turkish student detained by ICE moved to Vermont in front of the judge’s order, says the government

A doctoral student of the Tufts University in Turkey who was detained by the immigration authorities was moved to Vermont, when a federal judge ordered the authorities to keep it in Massachusetts, lawyers said.

The 30 -year -old Rumeysa Ozturk was taken by immigration officials while walking on a street in Bostville suburb on March 25th. It was placed on a plane the next day and moved to a center for detention of immigration and customs from distant basils, to. To.

US dist. Judge Denise Casper in Boston scheduled a Thursday hearing in this regard.

Casper, who responded to a petition filed last week by Ozturk’s lawyers, issued a decision on March 28 that Ozturk cannot be eliminated from the United States “until the additional order of this court.”

On Tuesday, lawyers for the justice department claimed that the judge has no jurisdiction to decide Ozturk’s case. They said that Ozturk’s lawyers must submit their petition in the jurisdiction in which it was limited, according to the judicial documents. They said that the case should be rejected or transferred to Louisiana and that any challenge belongs to the immigration court.

Ozturk “is not without an appeal to challenge the revocation of the visa and its arrest and detention, but such a challenge cannot be made before this court,” ASST. We Atty. Mark Sauter wrote. The submission mentioned an appearance from April 7 for Ozturk in front of an immigration judge in Louisiana.

Ozturk’s lawyers have until the end of Wednesday afterwards to respond to the government’s argument.

Ozturk’s lawyers said that her detention violates her constitutional rights, including free expression and the appropriate process. They asked the judge to order it to be returned immediately to Massachusetts and to be released from arrest.

Ralii in support of Ozturk took place on Tuesday in Boston and Tufts University, and another was planned in Boston on Wednesday.

Ozturk is among several people with links with American universities who participated in demonstrations or publicly expressed Palestinian support during the Gaza War and who recently had revoked visas or were stopped to enter the USA.

A spokesman for the Department of Internal Security confirmed the cessation of Ozturk visa last week, saying that investigations have found that he was employed in Hamas, a US -appointed terrorist group. The department did not provide evidence of this support and there was no explanation in the response of government lawyers on Tuesday.

“We have offered you a visa to come to study and get a diploma, not to become a social activist, to break our university campuses,” said Secretary of State Marco Rubio last week when asked about Ozturk.

The militants in Hamas invaded Israel on October 7, 2023, in an attack that killed about 1,200 people, largely civilians and during which approximately 250 hostages were confiscated. The reprisal offensive in Israel killed over 50,000 people, according to the Ministry of Health of Gaza, and destroyed much of the enclave.

Ozturk was one of the four students who wrote an OP-ED in Tufts daily last year, who criticized the university’s response to students’ requirements for Tufts to “recognize Palestinian genocide,” reveals his investments and transferring companies with direct or indirect links with Israel.

Friends said Ozturk was not involved otherwise in protest against Israel.

McCormack and Casey write for Associated Press. McCormack reported from Concord, NH